Job Title: Applications Engineer
Department: Advanced Product Development
Reports To: VP, Advanced Product Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
Customary Days: Monday through Friday
Position Summary The Applications Engineer provides project leadership for the advanced products team, and liaises with relevant internal and external functional groups on new and existing product development.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Interface with customers to collect requirements needed for new product development.
- Establish the process by which customer requirements are documented and identify potential application concerns.
- Based upon customer needs (performance, features, program, timing, etc.), establish recommendations for appropriate powertrain offerings.
- Respond to customer technical inquiries and look for creative solutions to technical problems.
- Lead integration activities with internal engineering staff or external engineering firms.
- Attend regularly scheduled reviews with customers and process customer change requests through the appropriate systems.
- Support sales staff at trade shows and other sales calls to potential customers.
- Develop technical sales presentations, write grant proposals and assist with competitive market analysis.
- At times may be required to work on engines to test and diagnose engine problems.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Industrial Engineering required.
- Minimum 5 years experience in integrating engines and transmissions into new and existing vehicles.
- Ability to speak a second language preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Working knowledge of CAD (Pro E or Solidworks).
- Strong project management and organization skills.
- Technical writing skills.
- Extensive knowledge of current, emerging powertrain technologies.
- Ability to develop technical integration programs (RASIC, SOW, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills for interfacing with internal and external groups.
- Ability to keep to strict deadlines; time management skills.
- Adherence and knowledge to work safely around operating machinery.
• Ability to read, write and speak English proficiently.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
- Specific vision requirements include the ability to see at close range.
- At times, may require more than 40 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Fine hand manipulation (keyboarding).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Internal office space and production/assembly environment.
- Exposure to mechanical moving parts.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Travel up to 50% (domestic and international).